Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pirates

As I'm sitting here at the computer Brynlee comes out of her room. I tell her to get back in bed and her response is "Bed? What's a bed?" Gimme a break. Luckily she went back without further attitude, but it is in the spirit of that response that I begin my favorites of the day.

1-Dressing up for school. Price's class dressed up like pirates today and went on a treasure hunt. He was by far the most dressed up, but his costume was great. Thanks to some inspiration from Grandma Price and the Bennions he had a hook hand and an eye patch. Maybe it was a little overboard, but he looked great and you might as well dress up like this while it is still socially acceptable.

(Please ignore the clothes-less girl in the background. We're working on getting her to get herself dressed in the morning and it usually takes awhile.

2-Cellphones. Some may consider a cellphone a luxury, but it really has become a necessity at our house. With Jer travelling all the time it makes it really easy to keep in touch. But today I was extra glad I had it. The girls and I were at the park for playgroup when a guy mowing the park's lawn came and asked me if I had a phone. He said some guy was laying on his lawn and I needed to call 9-1-1. At first I thought it was a homeless guy passed out on the curb or a jogger that tripped and fell. But as I walked over to where he was I saw that it was a little old man that had been working in his yard. He fell and hit his head. He was all dirty and bloody. It was the saddest thing ever. He kept trying to get up and we had to keep telling me to not move, but he was sprawled on top of some paving stones and a rock so it was probably really uncomfortable. The police and ambulance came pretty quickly although I got transferred 2 times and talked to 3 different dispatchers. But it all worked out in the end. Hopefully they found some relative of his and hopefully he stops working out in his yard. This is why I think anyone over the age of 80 should be moved to an assisted living/retirement center and banned from driving anywhere. That way they are around others of their same age and they can socialize, but then they aren't laying on their lawn for who knows how long with a bleeding head wound.

3-A bird's nest in our garage. I know, normally this would be considered a nuisance and I'd want it out NOW. But then I thought how great it is that the mother bird considers our garage a safe place to keep her baby. Yes, I climbed up on a ladder and checked it out. Cutest little thing ever. Normally I'm not an animal lover so this is a shocker for me too.

4-Aldis. I know it's getting old, me and my weird obsession with this store but it is my fave. So I will give a shout out to my fave thing from Aldis. They have this vanilla yogurt. I know you're thinking vanilla yogurt? gross, bland. But this is like French Vanilla or Vanilla Bean yogurt. It is so good and so addicting. I've been eating it just out of the container or adding frozen raspberries to it. YUM! Plus it's fat free so you don't have to feel guilty. It's a definite must have.

5-my kids. They can be so sweet sometimes. I just love the funny little songs that they make up and how they are so happy and can always brighten my day. I love that they are still in the phase of life where they will kiss and hug me in public. It will be a sad day when that ends or when they ask to be dropped off a block away from school. I'm sure I will embarrass them at some point, but for now I will just enjoy their energy and their willingness to hang out with me.

Random thought of the day: Do you ever do something and think "I am turning into my mother?" (Sorry mom, love you to pieces!) I seem to have these moments more and more as I get older. Maybe it's a good thing since my mom is so great, but sometimes it makes me realize that I'm getting old. And I guess in my head I still think I'm a young, fun mom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love your 5 positive things daily....gonna start doing those next fri.....FRIDAY HIGH FIVES!! been doing fri. flip offs, so thought it would be nice to balance it out and end w/ some positivity! btw, so w/ you on the obsession with aldi's!!

Hall Family said...

okay so I agree---I ....I mean WE love aldis which is why we drive the half hour to go shopping there (we really do) I haven't seen the vanilla yogurt...is it a Big yogurt or is it the little ones? Because we buy the little ones and all they have is strawberry, key lime (which is really lime-y) and cherry (REALLY good). I just recently tried their mango frozen bars---YUM! I am hoping I'll find the coconut ones too. (By the way, it looks like Price's belly is hanging out with that flesh colored shirt? My eyes are really bad, so if you have no idea what I'm talking about--that's why! haha)