Monday, May 31, 2010

9 years

It's been nine years, this weekend, since Jeremy and I got engaged. It sure has been an eventful 9 years.
This is the history of events on that memorable weekend nine years ago. On Friday we had a date planned, but like usual Jeremy was WAY late. I don't think he picked me up until 10:30pm. That's pretty typical for Jer though, he usually had to work out or get something else done before we went out. If only then I had known how much time I would spend waiting on him. Luckily he's worth the wait. So when he finally came and got me, he blindfolded me and we drove the Sherwood Hills. It's a golfcourse/hotel/retreat place up in the mountains near Logan, UT. He had set up a little picnic on the golf course and we had cheesecake and he'd made a mixed tape of songs. Oh, how I miss the mixed tape, you just see those anymore. I was so sure he was going to propose then, but nope we just headed home after that.

On Saturday morning we headed up to Idaho Falls to see Jeremy's fam. I didn't know it at the time, but he had planned on proposing on Friday, but the ring wasn't ready yet. He picked it up on Saturday just before we left. So we spent the weekend with his fam. On Saturday we went rollerblading in Idaho Falls down around the river by the temple. It was the two of us and his sister Brigette. He was going to propose there, but he chickened out. His sister kept looking to see if he'd done it yet (she was in on it), but he'd just shake his head no. I was wondering why she kept skating ahead of us.

On Sunday night we were heading home and Jer decides to take a detour back down to the river just across the street from the temple. I was annoyed, I just wanted to go home and he's stopping to sight see. So we're sitting on this bench and he gets all serious. I was thinking that he wanted to break up with me or something, but then all of the sudden he gets down on his knee. I don't remember what he said, but he must have asked me to marry him and I must have said yes. I do remember that a family was taking a walk and the dad came running over waving a stick talking about how he had asked his wife to marrry him there too. The wife was mortified and drug him away telling him to leave us alone.

So that's how it all started. And somehow it has all worked out. 3 kids and many adventures later here we are. I would never have guessed that we'd live here or that life could be as good as it has been. We've been lucky I guess. But I have heard luck defined as preparation met with opportunity. So who knows.

Memorial Day is here now summer can officially begin; we have the pool and BBQ out, pants cut off into shorts and the popsicles are frozen. The Hodsons are ready for some hot summer days of lounging around.

No comments: