Saturday, September 18, 2010

Quite the day

I spoke too soon. I jinxed myself.... Brynlee has now had 3 swimming lessons and they seem to be getting worse and worse. She cries and doesn't want to do anything the teacher says. I sit there fuming that I'm shelling out money to have her act like this. I sure wish we had the great teacher that got Price swimming and loving it, but we don't so onward we go. For the last 2 days we've gone to the Y to "practice" for swimming lessons. The most ridiculous thing ever, but hopefully we can get her over her fears. I have 4 things that she needs to do without crying and then she gets a treat. On Friday she did 2 of them and today she did 3 (they are swimming on her front with a kickboard, on her back with a kickboard, on her front with the noodle and jumping in by herself). So I guess that's progress. I'm sure the people at the pool think I'm torturing her by her loud ear-piercing screams.

I've thought a lot about it the past week and yeah she is only 3, but I hope by helping her get over her fear that she will learn that she can do hard things. And that when she starts something she will stick it through to the end. That's what I'm hoping she gets out of it (besides the being able to swim part). We have a little mantra that we repeat every time we go and swim and she's actually getting really good at it. It goes "I am Brynlee Hodson and I can do hard things because I am a brave girl". Totally corny, but hopefully it will help her to realize that she can accomplish anything she puts her mind to.

Later today I went dress shopping with some friends. I was asked to be in my friend Cody's wedding in May (she works with Jeremy). It was Cody, me and the 2 other bridesmaids that went dress shopping. I should have told her about my "wardrobe needs" when she asked me, but I was hoping to avoid it for a few months. I should have told her when she called earlier this week to set it up and I should have told her when we first got to the store, but where would the fun be with that. No I had to wait until we had dresses in hand and were on our way to the dressing room. Luckily I walked by the rack that had the little jacket, shrug things so I knew what I needed. Cody was really nice about it too, I just didn't want to feel like I was ruining her wedding by my needing to be covered up.
There were times that I wanted to ground to open up and swallow me whole, but I stuck with it and it turned out great. I think it'll actually work better if we all wear the little jacets because she has a big busted sister that needs a supportive bra. So hopefully I'm not causing too big of a ruckus. I did have the thought, that I could just try on the dress and take off my garments, but I knew that would be confusing and knew that I had to stick by my standards. What a day though, it was a lot more stressful than I thought it would be.

But on the bright side I did fit into a size smaller dress than I normally wear, Wahoo! Maybe that's my reward for doing what's right.

No comments: