We've had more snow. Which I don't mind since it's March and I know it won't last long. But what really annoys me is how easy our school district cancels school. I could understand if it was a rural area and we had a lot of people who live on country roads. But it's Cedar Rapids, we don't. So let's get the main roads plowed and get these kids to school. GRRR!
So we had a snow day. As I was shoveling our driveway the plow came by and dumped a 3 ft drift at the bottom of the driveway. Thank you! I just love shoveling heavy,wet snow full of rocks.
Since it really wasn't that bad out, the kids and I ventured out. I went and voted (but our white-trash town wants a casino anyway..and it's going to be about a mile away from our house..yipee), we went to Theisens to look for sleds, to see the baby chicks, and get some free popcorn. We hit the library too. I love that the kids are old enough to look at books and play on the computers while I sit and read for a minute. Glorious!
We then went sledding at the Renshaws. They live on this monster hill and have the best sledding right out their front door. We didn't stay too long, but we had fun. I've realized that I am not in my sledding prime. Careening wildly on a piece of cheap plastic just doesn't hold the thrill that it once did.
This was our snow day craft. Silly glasses. We saw them making them on PBS during their pledge drive and decided to give them a try. Super easy and fun.
Today Kylee was busy doing puzzles. She spends too much time at the YMCA child watch and home with me while I'm trying to get stuff done. Good thing she is so good at these and is so easily entertained.I've been on a kick of making homemade yogurt and granola. It is so super easy and so good.
Yogurt
I just fill my crock pot with milk (skim, but whatever you like) and crank it on high. I do this at about 4:30 pm (you'll see why). I periodically check the temp, but it's usually done around 7:30 or 8. I want it above 180 degrees (about 185). I then turn off the crock pot and leave the lid off. I add 1 cup sugar and stir. I let it sit for about an hour or until the temp is below 120 degrees (around 115). then I add one container of yogurt that contains live, active cultures (essential!) It's just the single serving size. It ends up being about 1/2 cup. Then I put the crock pot lid on and wrap the whole thing in 2 towels and let it sit over night. I have it timed so it's ready about the time I go to bed.
In the morning (at 6 or 7 am) it should be thick and jelled. You can drain the excess water off, but I just stir it together and put it in a container and put it in the fridge. You can add whatever flavors you like. I usually puree some frozen fruit and add that, but whatever you like. It's cheap, easy and so good. You could add more or less sugar but I'm happy with the amount I do. You also reserve about 1/2 cup of the plain yogurt to use in your next batch as the start.
Granola
There's something about the texture of yogurt that just begs for a little crunch and granola is the perfect thing. I've tinkered with a couple of recipes and come up with my own
4 1/2 cups quick oats
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup wheat germ (on the cereal aisle at Wal-Mart)
1 cup nuts
1 cup dried fruit
mix together and set aside
In a sauce pan combine:
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup oil
heat until sugar is combined. Pour over oat mixture until thoroughly combined. Spread onto a greased cookie sheet and spread out in a thin layer. Place in a 350 degree oven. Stirring occasionally (about every 15 minutes). Cook until brown and crispy and clumpy.
.jpg)
1 comment:
Maybe it's because I'm up too late, but this post totally made me giggle. Somehow you've painted the perfect picture of your personality with this one! (And now I want to make some yogurt and granola...)
Post a Comment