Monday, June 14, 2010

Crazy Weekend

Yet another busy weekend here. I don't know why I look forward to all the chaos. I'm going to start enjoying Mondays more, they seem to be far more relaxing these days than either Saturday or Sunday. But while it was a busy weekend it was also really fun.
Saturday morning I ran in the 'Run the Flood' race. It was 7 miles all around the flooded parts of town. When I heard about this race last year I was bummed that I wouldn't get to do it (pregnant). So when they did it again this year I knew I definitely had to be a part of it. It's hard to describe living here during the flood. Our house didn't suffer any damage, but our hearts did. Seeing all those who lost so much and yet they pressed on and rebuilt. For me it got to be hard driving past the flood zone everyday, it really got to me. And of course losing the library was hard, me being such a book worm. But slowly things are getting back to a new "normal" and so running in this race was fun to be able to help in a small way and to be able to remember that summer. I think the race slogan said it best: "rebuild. recover. remember."
That being said, the race was no cake walk. It started out great and the first couple of miles weren't bad since it was similar to the route I usually run. But the last mile and 1/2 sucked! I kept telling myself I was never running again, but I will and I will probably run in another race too. When I run I don't notice things around me, so I don't recall the sights too much. But I do remember the smells; Captain Crunch, flood rot, and bleach. Quite the spectrum of smells, but that's what I remember most from the race.
I finished in just over an hour (1:01:07). I originally wanted to finish in under an hour, but that went out the window at the end, I just wanted to be done. Luckily it didn't start raining until after I finished. So overall a great success and I'm glad I did it.

Later on Saturday we went to a baptism and then in the evening our ward had an activity. We had enchiladas for dinner and watched the movie "The Testament". It was a great night, the food was awesome and I love that movie. I just wish more people would have come. There was a ton of food and not quite as many people as expected.
Sunday was the usual rush to church. Throw in the basement flooding (again) and it was a great day. I think we've finally come up with the problem with the basement. Our sump pump is on the wrong side of the house so when it rains REALLY hard then water leaks into the basement because it came down with so much force. I can't explain it very well, but it comes down to putting a pump on the opposite side of the basement from the current one. Hopefully that will fix the problem and we won't have to deal with this any longer. And when I say "we", I mean me because it's one of those Murphy's Laws. It never leaks when Jer's here. Only when it's me or late at night (or both in some cases).

2 comments:

Life at The Hadenfeldt's said...

Way to go! You rock! Do you have any running buddies?

It was great to see you guys on Saturday, I had no idea that you had such a busy day.

Bummer about your sump pump, I hope that you get it figured out before any more troubles.

lynnie said...

I'm just a loner when I run. Then I don't feel so bad when I'm going slow!