It's been a busy couple of weeks and I've been pretty lazy about posting. We've been enjoying some spring-like weather here and I'm loving it. We really haven't had much snow; which is fine with me. I've been doing my usual; carpooling kids, working out at the YMCA, visiting Gena (she is still back and forth between the hospital and the rehab center). But we have had some other things going on too.
A few weeks ago I went the Brynlee's class on a field trip to the hospital. I told her we didn't need the field trip; she's been there enough times to be familiar with it. She got to be the pretend "patient" when they were demo-ing all that goes on in the hospital. She was very excited. We had a tour, a cookie and a movies; a good morning. She also got a goody bag filled with fun stuff; here she is modeling it. Paging Dr. Brynlee Hodson.....
I am just glad I am not a Kindergarten teacher. I had a massive headache after just a few hours with those kids. I am so thankful for people who do this everyday and that they enjoy doing it so much!Last fall I attended a training for Livestrong at the YMCA. It's a program for cancer patients. The pilot program just ended and I was volunteering with them every now and then. They were a great group and I really grew to love them and was so inspired by their stories and their strength. A few weeks ago we had a party celebrating their completing the course and we had a potluck dinner. Here are some of the participants and the instructors: Stacie (instructor), Christina, Susan, George and Jeff (instructor).
I worked with Susan the most. She is so positive and caring. She always had a smile on her face and always so uplifting. Luckily she is a regular at the Y so I still see her often. George is a crack up. He is so sarcastic and funny and has a line for everything. I really enjoyed getting to know him and laughing with him.
Last Monday my friend Emmaly and I started instructing our own class of Livestrong survivors. We have 9 participants and it already has been so rewarding. They come from all different backgrounds and lives yet we have so many commonalities. It's going to be an exciting 12 weeks getting to know them and seeing them progress. I'm really excited!
So I've been working a lot more at the YMCA lately. It's been really fun and Kylee has been great about spending more time in the child watch; luckily she has her buddy Ike to keep her company (he's Emmaly's son and he's 3 too-Kylee loves to boss him around). I even got hit on the other day....I told Jeremy he better be careful. But he just laughed when I told him about it. It was a kid from Options (it's handicapped kids)-he didn't feel too threatened.
We've also had the stomach bug hit, but it only lasted a few hours. Luckily the older 2 kids are big enough to make it to the bathroom in time. Kylee on the other had puked everywhere and then tried to hit in her bed. Yes, a lovely mess to clean up at 2 am. But we survived and seem to be on the mend.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment