Thursday, February 3, 2011

Big Blizzard of '11

We are alive and well here in Iowa after the big blizzard. And of course Jeremy has been stuck in the Quad Cities since Tuesday, but it's not that surprising. That seems to be our luck when a big storm hits. But at least he is safe and he's had a leisurely, relaxing week because I'm going to sleep in on Saturday and he can be in charge for awhile.
Price got out of school early on Tuesday and then yesterday school was cancelled and today was a late start so we've had a few relaxing days at home. It was actually kind of nice. Since Jeremy wasn't here I didn't really have to cook. The kids played the Wii, the computer and watched movies. I got to be lazy and read. I didn't even get out of my pajamas yesterday.
The kids did venture out to play for a little bit, but it was cold so they didn't last too long.

We got over 12 inches here and let me tell you that it was no picnic shovelling it. I shovelled a litte on Tuesday night and then again on Wednesday. Luckily Wednesday morning our neighbor did the sidewalk and the end of the driveway with his snowblower. It made it a lot more bearable not having to do the 10 foot drift made by the snowplow coming by.


Tuesday night when I was shovelling a van came putting up the road. They had no hope of making it up the hill. They didn't even make it to our house before they had to get out and push. I should have told them to go back down and give it a running start. Then this morning a van plowed into the snow in front of our house. I think they took the corner going a little too fast. Luckily I didn't have to go anywhere until I took Price to school today. I went out to start the van and it was dead (just my luck). Thankfully the Honda has been parked since Jeremy got his new car (yes, we are the proud new owners of a Ford Focus). So I took him to school in that. The kids love driving around in it. The whole time I'm just hoping it doesn't explode or break down and leave me even more stranded. Now it's off to ehow to figure out if I can jump start the van and get it going again. I guess that's what happens when you leave the interior lights on and don't drive it for 2 days. Whoops!
Price's class has some learning goals. His teacher sent home some words they are supposed to learn and he also needed to learn to recognize the number 1-50. He passed off the words already and is now a "word wizard". He just has his numbers left. So we've been working on them before and after school. Brynlee loves to quiz him and hold up the cards for him. I just love that they are getting older and becoming self sufficient. And actually willing to help one another.

No comments: