Friday, August 7, 2015

RAGNAR

Jeremy and I ran a Ragnar in June.  It started in Madison, WI and we ran to Chicago.  We were on a 12 person team.  Jeremy and I each ran about 13 miles that was split up into 3 different legs.  It was a fun weekend (if you like sleep deprivation and long distance running).
 
Our van was van #6.  We had six people: Jeremy and I, Josh W, Josh S, Dallin and Todd (a father son combo)
 
 
 The whole team
 Our medals.  the back all fit together when you put all 12 together.  It was pretty cool.
What can I say about the Ragnar...I've never done something so mentally and physically challenging.  But it was so rewarding.  The trails and roads in Wisconsin were so great.  It is a great place. You could tell you were in Illinois.  The roads sucked and things were a little more ghetto. 
 
One of my legs was around 3am.  It was pretty alone.  I could see someone far ahead but for the most part it was just me and I just had to keep trucking.  Luckily there were no creepers out on the bike trail.  And my team was waiting at one part to cheer me on. 
 
In between legs our van went to a hotel to sleep.  The first time was too short.  The second time I couldn't sleep because I had what I've come to call "the Ragnar cleanse".  Neither pleasant or delightful but such is life.
 
The worst was the final leg. I was tired and ready to be done.  I had 4 miles to run.  I was passing people like crazy.  I did not pay all that money and come all that way to walk.  But they must have put the "one mile to go" sign at the place because I was excited to be almost done and kicked it up a notch and that was the longest mile I've ever run. 
 
I've always wanted to do a race like this and I'm glad I got to do it with Jeremy.  It was a blast.

We stopped on our way home and got some amazing Mexican food.  I can't recall the name of the place but it was in a mall outside of Chicago. Delish!

No comments: