Sunday, February 2, 2014

Winter Kickball

What do you do in Iowa in January when it's snowy and super cold?  Play in an outdoor kickball tourney of course.
I was a little skeptical at first, me not being a big lover of frigid temps.  But we actually had a really good time.
It was a co-ed tourney and they needed at least 3 girls so Anne, Emmaly and I were there token women.
They guys set up a little shelter for us complete with a fire and propane heater.  My feet were really cold during the first game, but that was because I had too many socks on.  I took one pair off and was toasty the rest of the day.
 
It was really fun, the in field was really icy and trying to kick and run with so many layers was a little treacherous.  Anne was our star second baseman and really took one for the team.  She got kicked in the head when someone tried to jump over her to get to 2nd.  Someone else slid into the base and knocked her over.  She also broke her middle finger when fielding a grounder.  Poor Anne, but I think she had a good time.
 
Emmaly and her bum knee didn't fair any better either.  But she has recovered by now, who knows if they will be up for playing again next year.
 
The star of the team was Jeremy at first base.  He did an awesome job.  As usual he was super competitive and made the Hodson family proud.
 
Most of the people playing in this tournament were too old to be there.  One guy kept getting hurt every time he came up to kick, but every inning he kept coming up.  I guess he's dedicated to his sport.
 
A lot of people were drinking and by the later games were having trouble fielding the ball.  One guy playing 3rd base for the other team kept letting balls roll right past him.  It was an advantage for our non-drinking team.
 
A great day spent with our friends.

No comments: