I volunteered to coach Brynlee's soccer team this year. What was I thinking, we've only had one game and already I'm regretting my decision. I love spending time with Bryn and she is a great little player, but this coaching stuff is a mess. We only have 5 kids on our team and most of them whine and complain throughout practice.
A couple of weeks ago we were practicing and none of the kids were listening, one girl kept wandering off to go play, most of the kids were sitting on the ground refusing to listen. Price and his friend were off playing and climbing trees. His friend, Drake, jumped out of a tree and hurt his foot. He's screaming at the top of his lungs so I have to stop practice and go help him and carry him (which was no easy feat) over to where we are. Then Kylee is crying and wanting me to hold her while I'm trying to coach. Jeremy is out of town mind you. It was a hot mess and I was ready to pull my hair out and quit.
We had our first game yesterday and I had high hopes, but I should have known better, especially with how they act at practice. The other team had 7 players and put all their boys as forwards. We have 1 boy, they had 4. So it wasn't a very fair match up. At one point our boy (the best player we have) was playing goalie and Brynlee (as a forward) were the only kids on our team playing. One girl was crying because she was scared (she should be in the younger league) another was mad because she wanted to score a goal and couldn't and another just plain hates playing soccer and didn't want to be there. I was so frustrated. The other team's coach was so condescending too. I called a ball out (in this league the coaches are the refs) and she asked me if I was sure. I about kicked her in the shins, I wanted to say "Give us a break lady, you are stomping us. Who cares if it was out or not".
Hopefully next week goes better and I can somehow inspire my team to make it through the whole game without random potty breaks and breakdowns in the middle of the quarters.
But Brynlee looked so cute and really did a great job. At first she was a little timid, but at the end she was doing awesome. Without her we wouldn't have had anyone playing.

.jpg)
1 comment:
Good job Brynlee. You too Lynnie. That sounds so frustrating - I don't think I could it, but I'll bet Bryn loves having you there. You should have Jer take a video of part of one of her games... I'd love to watch her play! :)
Post a Comment